POSITION: Web Designer
STARTING: February, 2011
REMUNERATION: Commensurate with experience
Asia Report (AR:http://yazhoudiaocha.com) is a Chinese-English website on current developments in economic, social, cultural rights in Asia published by Asia Catalyst, a capacity-building NGO. HIV Information in Myanmar (HIM: http://him.civiblog.org) is a civiblog run by Burmese activists on HIV/AIDS and related human rights issues in Burma. Editors of AR and HIM are embarking on the merging of the two websites into one platform in three languages (Burmese, Chinese and English) (new name to be determined).
The Website Designer will be responsible for creating and developing a new website with the assistance of web editors of HIM and AR. He or she functions as design lead working to provide web design and development services.
1. Research design ideas to develop the best creative approach and concepts for style, technique, and production methods; provide outlines for a few possible design ideas and proposals for review by HIM, AR and Asia Catalyst.
2. Execute chosen design and organize the new interactive online platform; identify a new internet server, if necessary; work closely with web editors of HIM and AR to ensure the quality of design, format, usability, accessibility and organic search engine optimization.
3. Assist and ensure successful data migration from old websites to the new; incorporate text, graphics, multimedia, and data resources from the old HIM and AR websites into the new site as needed.
4. Ensure compliance with web standards, and translate strategic initiatives and vision into workable technical solutions.
5. Responsible for creating linkages with other main websites and social media (FaceBook, Twitter, etc.,) and assist in setting up the e-mail list-serv in three languages.
1. Must possess digital media design experience, preferably focused on web and multimedia design.
3. All applicants must be competent in industry-standard graphics and multimedia applications including Photoshop, ImageReady and Firework.
4. Must understand web graphics approaches and techniques, including color palettes, file format choices, cross-platform/cross-browser development, accessibility and web standards.
5. Must have an understanding of the basic approaches to interactive media design including user-centered design, needs assessment, information architecture, developing design studies and bug testing.
6. Familiarity with digital video/audio applications such as Premiere or Final Cut Pro is a plus.
7. Familiarity with either Burmese or Chinese language is a plus, but is not required.
8. Applicants must have good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to take direction, meet deadlines and participate in the project team process.
Please email your resume, design sample, and names and contact information to:
Application materials must be submitted by Sunday, January 30, 2011. We will only respond to completed applications and will contact those we are interested in to arrange interviews.